Sunday, April 15, 2012

Assignment 9: Dengue Fever as a Public Health Problem

Dengue fever is a virus-caused disease that has been one of the most important resurgent tropical diseases in Latin America for the last two decades, where countries have experienced marked increases in the incidence of both classic dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever.

The virus is spread by mosquitoes, specially by the mosquito Aedes aegypti, commonly known as patas blancas, because of the white markings on its legs. Its clinical diagnosis is relatively ambiguous, and lab tests are required in order to be sure that a case is dengue, because its initial symptoms are very similar to those of a common cold (fever, headache, fatigue, joints and muscles aches). This tends to lead to complications as people mis-diagnose the disease for common cold and take aspirin to treat it. Aspirin has anticoagulant effects that can increase the bleeding so that the classic dengue fever becomes an hemorrhagic fever that cannot be treated with regular antibiotics.

I want to do my research paper on how can public health institutions work to prevent the high incidence of dengue and develop/communicate more efficient and accessible diagnosis/treatment strategies for classical dengue fever, as to reduce the incidence of dengue hemorrhagic fever. As a background information, it will be necessary to study the major risk factors for the occurrence of dengue in the region and local societal/economical factors pertinent for the design of a preventive, diagnostic and treatment strategy for the localized region.

I'd like to frame this problem in my hometown, Caracas, during the last twenty years, because it is a problem that I have seen growing during my whole life. A lot of the people in my inner circle of friends and family have had dengue at some point of their lives, and I clearly remember the 2005 epidemic, when my mom wouldn't let us leave the house without mosquito repellent, Citronella candles where more coveted than gold and relatives where continuously looking for O- blood donors that could help for the treatment of those who had the hemorrhagic fever.

So, for the problem definition, it would be something around: The growing incidence of dengue hemorrhagic fever in Caracas during 1990-2010 as a consequence of the lack of an effective preventive, diagnostic and treatment structure for the classical dengue fever.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a really good topic to write about. I was just in Belize and the doctor I worked with told me the most likely disease I could get was Dengue fever, so it is definitely a prevalent problem. Before going to Belize I really had no idea what Dengue fever actually was, so I think it is important to inform people of this public health issue so it can begin to be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you are focusing in a place that is not the U.S. Dengue fever is terrible! I lived in Brazil for a few years in high school and one of my teachers got dengue during the school year. He was not only out for many days but when he came back he looked extremely sick and had lost tons of weight. I think that he might have mistaken it for the common cold at first and when he finally realized he had dengue, the symptoms were unbearable. I really think is important to come up with a plan to help prevent dengue fever as well as educating the people about the main symtoms of the dengue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting topic, and its also very interesting that you have first hand experience with the disease. This topic poses a threat to public health largely because there is no cure and it is so easily spread. This seems to be a disease that does not get much coverage, and thus people's knowledge of it is lacking. It will be interesting to see how that influences your findings, as well as the proper course of action for prevention and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of focusing on something in your own hometown, and something different! By focusing on your home town, it may be an easier task to handle. In general, the problem statement should not include the reason for the problem. We have plenty of time to work on your problem statement.

    ReplyDelete